Wednesday, February 21, 2007

How Can I Be More ALT?

Part 1: OLD SKOOL ALT SHOES!!

We have been getting lots of feedback from fans and admirers, but a reoccuring theme in most of our fan mail is, "M.I.A!, I've been living my life this whole thinking that I was ALT, but how can I be MORE ALT?". Well your friends at Mom, I'm ALT are here to lend a helping hand. In our first installment of "How Can I Be More ALT?" we are going to cover one of the most essential parts of being ALT...the footwear, old skool ALT footwear!

There are varying degrees of ALTness that can be determined by your shoes. Sounds silly, yes I know, but from one ALT to another, a lot can be told by the shoes you wear. A NEW SKOOL ALT can look at an OLD SKOOL ALT and tell right away that he/she must love Temple of the Dog, Oasis and the Spin Doctors. And an OLD SKOOL ALT can look at a NEW SKOOL ALT and say; he/she loves Interpol, Beirut and most definitely Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. I know this might sound crazy, but we will lay it all out for you right here:

OLD SKOOL ALT CLASSICS:

Doc Martins- come in a few selected colors, eyelet numbers and different lace colors. A force not to be reckoned with!

Chuck Taylor All-Stars- again come in different colors, hi-top/lo-top, and depending on how worn out they are, proves your degree of ALTness.

The all feared "Goth Boots" -no one knows what the hell is going on with these, not even the people wearing them. Use caution when in the presence of a pair these, whoever is wearing them are capable of doing something either crazy, but more likely, extremely retarded.

People that wear any of these definitely own CDs from the following bands, possibly even on vinyl and a true super ALT if they have any 7"s:




Stay tuned for the second half of part 1: NEW SKOOL ALT SHOES! YEAH BOI!

Jagga's Glossary:

ALTercation [awl-ter-key-shuhn] (n)- when ALTs from different underground (i.e not mainstream) scenes have a disagreement about their ALT-ness.
(ex: who is more ALT than the other)

“There was a slight ALTercation during my DJ set. These goons from the Death Cab show came and wanted to hear the latest Jens Lekman jam. I had my friend Thomas kick them out.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what about women's shoes? i've been wearing mary janes since nirvana unplugged came out!