Thursday, February 22, 2007

How Can I Be More ALT? (cont.)

Part 2 of 1: OLD SKOOL ALT SHOES FOR THE LADIES!!



by Starla

Since you asked for it, here's what the ALT ladies were rockin' on their feet in the prime ALT years (early-to-mid '90s) while tapping our toes to "Been Caught Stealing" and "Andre".

We too were wearing Chucks, but not the high top kind. We tended to sport the daintier, ankle-exposing low-tops as pictured here.




As M.I.A. has previously said (“Bought $20 shoes from Payless [Payless is almost the same as the Goodwill or Salvation Army...ALT!]”), shopping at Payless is totally ALT, and since my Mom was pretty ALT, that’s where my generic Chucks came from in 1994. They were navy blue and I covered them with Smashing Pumpkins lyrics like “Shut your mouth and strike the demons, cursed you and your reasons…” and friends’ phone numbers and peace signs and flowers. (I was still in that awkward phase between 1993 mall hippie and 1994 ALT rocker).

When not in Chucks, or fauxChucks in my case, many girls were wearing Mary Janes with baby doll dresses or ripped jeans with tights underneath.



Like Courtney Love!



Knee-high socks were also key! Man I wish you could see my shoes in this picture, but you can see I’ve got the requisite tights under my ripped jeans:



Army boots were also good for being ALT, as was the case for the boys. My ALT parents didn’t want to cough up the cash for genuine Doc Martins, so my boots were brown German Army boots I found at an Army surplus store. Though not as trendy at the time, those clunkers actually have had enormous staying power and are still a part of my ALT wardrobe to this day!


Check out Bling Kong's new Contraband and super ALTastic video, and maybe get yerself a hot date.

3 comments:

mom,i'm alt said...

This picture is so ALT. You even took the picture ALT by angling the shot.

ALT FOR LIFE!!

hotdoorknobs said...

Nice Pearl Jam poster!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?